Saturday, April 3, 2010

Double Chocolate Chip Gelato


Double Chocolate Chip Gelato
(Makes about 3 cups)

1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
pinch of salt
2 cups whole milk, divided
5 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup shaved, slivered or chunk good grade Chocolate (godiva, lindt) semi sweet of bitter sweet dark chocolate


In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
Gradually add 1/4 cup milk, whisking to dissolve cornstarch.
Whisk in remaining milk.
Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
Allow to boil for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Add chocolate and allow to sit for 1 minute. Sit until chocolate is melted and smooth.
Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Mix in the cream and vanilla, fold in chocolate shavings.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
If you like brownies try this dessert Frangelico Brownie Gelato Dessert

9 comments:

Katie said...

Wow! That looks delicious! I need to try that soon!

Claudia said...

What a deep, rich chocolatey way to welcome spring with the first gelato of the season!

Federica said...

I love chocolate and ice cream. This is a big big temptation for me ^_^ Wonderful :X

MaryMoh said...

Looks very chocolately and delicious. Can't wait for summer to be here to indulge in lots of ice cream!

Drick said...

boy, you can sure tell summertime is coming soon to Florida, icecream making in the works - this is out of site, can't wait to get out my freezer, still have the old wooden barrel type (electric) using ice, but I love it....last batch I made was cantelope ice cream...

Nicole said...

I really need to get an ice cream maker, although I may gain 10 pounds if I do. Ice cream is my fav fav fav dessert! Looks so indulgent!

Cinnamon-Girl said...

What a heavenly treat!

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

Another cooling treat for these hot lazy daze of summer!

Bon appetit!
=:~)

Jennifer Cote said...

This reminds me, I should really dig out our yogurt machine... This recipe would go perfect in it! We bought a huge frozen yogurt machine 25 years ago, when we first opened The New Deli. Boy, we could really have a party with this gelato and that machine!