Thursday, March 18, 2010

Orzo Tuna Salad with Vinaigrette Recipe

As soon as the weather seems to be turning into spring, I get in the mood for salads, macaroni salad, this is with chickpea's, peppers, olives and cheese and tuna. Orzo, an Italian pasta, is like rice, so it holds the flavors better than larger pasta.



4 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups orzo
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes or vine ripe tomatoes chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
4 tablespoons chopped kalamata olives
1/4 cup of strips of provolone or mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoon chopped pepper
1 can Italian tuna in olive oil
About 3/4 cup ***Red Wine Vinaigrette
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, dried oregano optional sprinkle to taste
Pour the broth into a heavy large saucepan. Cover the pan and bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in the orzo. Cover partially and cook until the orzo is tender but still firm to the bite, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Drain the orzo through a strainer. Toss the orzo with the beans, tomatoes, garlic, tuna, cheese and olives. Add enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper, and serve at room temperature.

***Red Wine Vinaigrette
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a blender. Open the top of the blender, gradually blend in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, I like a dash of red pepper...

16 comments:

Federica said...

I really hope that the weather turn into spring as soon as possible ^_^ This recipe is perfect; during spring and summer I love pasta or rice salad. Have a nice week end dear :X

My Little Space said...

What a great combo! Had never thought of having both rice & pasta in one.

MaryMoh said...

Beautiful salad..perfect for me any time.

Drick said...

love pasta salads of all kinds - this sounds so good with everyting you got going in it, like the dressing

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

I have to say that I need to cook and eat more orzo in my life! This salad is great, making my stomach growl!

Have a great weekend Claudia!

Bonne appetite!
CCR
=:~)

Bridgett said...

I love the kalamata olives and garbanzo beans in this salad. Perfect for a picnic.

alison said...

a great,great salad!i wish you a nice week-end!

Danielle said...

Oh Claudia! What a boldly flavored and beautiful salad! We had a little taste of Spring this week but tomorrow it's supposed to be snowing or sleeting or some such ugliness. that's okay I'd eat this anytime!

Nicole said...

orzo is a comfort food for me. My mom used to make this when I was sick or how you made it over the summer. brings back great memories!

Claudia said...

This just jumped out to me! I love Orzo - perfect light-come-on-spring food!

Table Talk said...

I am a white sauce fan--the more garlic the better for me!
Great recipe, Claudia!

Jamie said...

This looks super good. I love orzo and I like all the combination of flavors in this dish.

Aggie said...

I think I need to make this next week for my lunches! Wow, it looks perfect. Great recipe!

Cinnamon-Girl said...

This salad is jam-packed with goodness and lots of delicious flavors! Love it.

redkathy said...

Now that's my kind of salad! Spring summer whatever, orzo, olives, and peppers I'm lovin' it!

ghweiss said...

Reminds me of a nicoise salad, but more appealing by far!