Thursday, March 25, 2010

Italian Style Shrimp Nutty Orzo Salad

This is one of those times of the year when I start seeing how much winter weight crept up on me when I wasn't looking. So, after I get over going into denial about the ten pounds, I start trying to find filling, healthier foods that help me lose weight without feeling like I am being punished. This is one of those salads I eat at least three times a week at work. I try and limit the amount to 1 cup to begin with, but I also have two bottles of water with lemon and no fat, no salt crackers to crush on top. Doesn't sound all that good, but when you mix them with the dressing they are like croutons for me. Oh well enough about boring diets. Spring is almost here~ yeah!!!! So I bring you a fresh light salad with orzo, greens, tomatoes and assorted nuts, with beautiful extra large tiger shrimps.

I couldn't find my favorites anywhere, hazelnuts this week! So had to settle for macadamia, pecans and walnuts, but after toasting them and they were wonderful.


The herbs blended were perfect for serving this salad cold and the shrimp had a nice lemony flavor.

Make sure your romaine or bed of baby greens are fresh and crisp

Let you dressing set out awhile, even overnight if you can to ferment the flavors


Orzo is one of those pasta's you can use in just about anything and a great substitute for rice

Extra large tiger shrimp boiled, and then chilled before using


6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, cleaned and cooked
4 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
1/4 cup each: chopped fresh basil and mint
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of grated lemon rind, slices of lemon rind curls for garnish
6 tablespoons of white wine
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
3 cups orzo or brown rice
1/2 cup lightly mixed nuts ( first choice hazelnuts, macadamias, pecans and walnuts) Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste ground pepper
1 cup mixed baby salad greens or romaine
In a large fry pan heat or on the grill....using 1 tablespoon of oil
add shrimp and cook, till pink about 2 minutes. Set aside
In large bowl combine tomatoes, basil, mint, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon rind grated, wine, garlic and 1 tablespoon of oil....set aside 20 minutes at room temperature.
Stir in orzo or rice, nuts and shrimp, toss gently. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon salad on to the center of the plate and mound with shrimp mixture on top. If desired,garnish with more lightly toasted mixed
nuts, parsley and lemon rind.

14 comments:

Federica said...

Gorgeous! In spring and summer orzo salads are perfect anf this is very very greedy. I like it

Belinda @zomppa said...

I love the addition of the nuts! Orzo and shrimp are two of my favorites so I love this twist.

Drick said...

healthy, tasty and lovely to look at - who whould want anything else? Anything with shrimp is a winner with me and this looks wonderful

Grumpy & HoneyB said...

Love it! Orzo is one of my new favorite pastas!

5 Star Foodie said...

Yum! I love the addition of nuts!

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

Wonderful salad Claudia! The shrimp, walnuts, parsley, and lemon are a great combination.

alison said...

awesome mix of flavours!

Cinnamon-Girl said...

This salad is just loaded with a wide variety of delicious flavors and ingredients! I love it!

Tania said...

It's a complete salad, ideal for this season!

Nicole said...

I also love how you added nuts to this. I have recently found whole wheat orzo at my food store, which I love because it is one of my favorite shapes!

citronetvanille said...

Oh well, summer is on this way, so you'll get rid of those 10 pounds w/o any problems. Great salad, how can it be not great with all its ingredients?

Cocina Savant said...

i love the salad with the lemon and the orzo! it reminds of a salad at macaroni grill or one place like that, but much healthier!!! i'll have to give this a try :)

helkimchee said...

I absolutely love a variety of textures in my food and also love to top salad with rice. so the orzo sounds like a delicious idea!

Katie said...

I am definitely on the look out for healthier recipes, and this one looks perfect!