Sunday, March 28, 2010

Chicken Eggplant Sorrento and Tiramisu' A Special Family Dinner Recipe

Chicken Eggplant Sorrento
(recipe at the end of this post)

An amazing dinner for me Palm, Sunday. Since I am working Easter Sunday, we had our Palm Sunday/Easter dinner early. Then, the week after Easter, I will have 20 people for dinner from Upstate NY here, and we will celebrate again! Bonus year for me.
I hadn't seen my nephew Michael in nine years. My, my, he had grown into a fine young man and chef. I had seen several pictures of the wonderful foods he had created, and while he was visiting me, he gave me several tips he has discovered in his culinary adventures. He also suggested a bottle of Pino Noir for this dinner I made while he visited us which was perfect!
We had alot in common in cooking while discussing methods, fresh herbs, vegetables were just a few favorites we had made pretty much the same ways . He said through the years he's learned not to overpower the foods with too many additions, kee it simple... I loved the tip he gave me on making sure to add certain herbs the last minute, instead of cooking all day, and adding a little sugar with butter to enhance flavors in sauces. Nicole, his girl friend was a wonderful help in the kitchen, and they made the perfect couple! I wish them every happiness.
Devin and (Brittany, another new guest at the table today ), were two more of my taste testers on today's introduction of my new Chicken dish. They both loved it!. Devin and Brittany I wish you much happiness, and thank you for joining us today~
I was hoping everyone the rest of the family could be together, unfortunately Devin's brother Matt was working, my brother John( Devin's dad) who has named this dish couldn't make it, and my husband Nemo was working. also..of course I was taking this picture below! We had a wonderful day....Happy Palm Sunday!
In this picture:
Brittany (Devin's GF) and Devin my nephew both from Orlando. Curt my youngest son in the sunglasses, Chad my oldest son, Michael my nephew from New Hartford NY and Nicole (Michael's GF). Amazingly enough almost this whole table is into the food industry one way or the other. Brittany and Devin work for a famous food chain. My nephew Michael works for a famous chain as a manager. My son Curt loves to cook he has been a guest post on here for his potato skins .
Chad, my oldest son is a huge fan of breakfast foods, his favorite to cook is french toast . That's what he made for breakfast today for his cousin's!


Chicken, Eggplant,Ricotta, Mozzarella

Fresh tomato sauce

Bow Tie Pasta boiled in salted water al dente'.


Warming everything up.
Bean Dip

Home Made Pizza

Garlic rolls made with Pizza Dough

Zeppole (fried dough in cinnamon and sugar using Pizza Fritte recipe)

Banana Cream Pie (using a chocolate cookie crust, hot fudge on the bottom and drizzled on top)


One addition to these cookies, I added toffee chips to the chocolate chips and sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on top of the oatmeal.



TIRAMISÙ
Loosely translated, tiramisù means "pick me up," and it has been picked up on practically every menu in America. Since the early eighties, it has been one of the most famous Italian-American desserts, and like spaghetti and meatballs, it is far more prevalent here than in Italy. Purchase one angel food cake and slice or make a sponge cake (recommended )home made or use lady fingers . This is a simple version, not made with raw egg, a favorite of ours we make often.
1/2 cup strong black coffee
1/2 cup coffee-flavored liqueur such as Kaluha or Frangelico
1 package (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese (see Tip)substitute cream cheese if you cant get mascarpone
1/2 package or 4 ounce of cream cheese softened or room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 package (3 ounces) ladyfingers, split, angel food, or sponge cake
1/4 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
hot fudge syrup, nutella hazelnut spread
whipped cream for garnish optional
Prepare and slice sponge cake for 12x9 inch pan or cut store bought angel food cake, or ladyfingers to fit pan.
In a small bowl, combine the coffee and liqueur; set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat the mascarpone cheese, cream cheese, and confectioners' sugar until smooth, add a half cup of sour cream. Prick the top of the cake and drizzle with coffee mixture, pour the remaining coffee mixture over the top layer if making a double layer of cake, you can do this either way (if using lady fingers dip them into the mixture then lay into your pan..) Spread cheese mixture on top. Top next with cream and chocolate.
Note: I had canned and added whip cream to the top sparingly, and drizzle hot fudge and nutella on top and sprinkle with unsweet cocoa powder.
PREPARATION TIP: Mascarpone cheese is a soft, sweet Italian cheese, similar in consistency to soft cream cheese. Commonly used in dips and in sweet dishes like tiramisu, it's generally found in the cheese section of the supermarket, you can use cream cheese if you can't find it.



Chicken Eggplant Sorrento (as shown above pictured)
3 Boneless Chicken Breasts sliced thin in medallion rounds
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 large eggplant washed, skin removed every other inch to leave on stripes and sliced in 1/2 inch thick pieces
1 16 oz of ricotta mixed with 1 egg, 1 tablespoon parsley and 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese, mix all together set aside.
1/2 cup white wine
2 16 0z cans of crushed tomatoes add 3 cloves of minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon each parsley, basil, oregano, pepper, and a pinch of sugar
grating cheese
2 cups olive oil
1/2 cup seasoned flour (1/2 teaspoon each parsley, oregano, garlic powder, cayenne pepper)
1 container of Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
shredded mozzarella
2 large plastic bags

In a large plastic bag, add 1/2 cup of seasoned flour. Dip sliced eggplant into oil then seasoned flour, place on a greased cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil and bake at 400 till brown and crisp.
Slice chicken breast thin, around 1/2 inch thick, dip in olive oil and then in a large plastic bag add seasoned Italian bread crumbs and grated cheese. Bake at 400 till browned and crispy.
Oil a large lasagna style pan, layer the ingredients starting with chicken. Top with one piece of eggplant, seasoned ricotta, more mozzarella and grating cheese. Mix crushed tomatoes with white wine, top chicken with sauce and more mozzarella and bake at 400 till cheese is melted. Around 20 minutes.
Serve with bow tie pasta topped with rest of the tomato wine sauce, grating cheese on top.

23 comments:

Joy said...

What a MAGNIFICENT feast! And good company too!

Aggie said...

Wow! What a feast is right! What a wonderful day...

Patsyk said...

Looks like an amazing feast! Everything looks like it would hard to avoid going back for 2nds and 3rds!

Drick said...

everything looks and sounds so incredible - I know the chicken was to die for and dessert, a favorite in our house ... have a blessed week my friend

Bridgett said...

This looks amazing! I wouldn't know where to start and when to end. I'll take one of each please!

Cinnamon-Girl said...

What a delicious bounty! How great that you saw your nephew after all that time.

redkathy said...

This chicken and eggplant combo is superb! I am definitely going to try this one. Just can't tell the guys about that eggplant.... shhhh they'll never guess what's in there. Thanks for sharing your fabulous dinner. Isn't it great to see how the kids have grown, makes me smile thinking about it!

Daydreamer Desserts said...

That's it Claudia! When can I come over? :) Wishing you and your family a very Happy Easter.

Noelle said...

Fantastic dish! Thumbs up!

Claudia said...

Gorgeous dinner, Claudia. Just perfect. And how special to reconnect with your nephew. That's what struck me. Even if i did lust a wee bit for the tiramisu.

alison said...

what a gorgeous dinner!all is perfect!

Mother Rimmy said...

The food looks absolutely mouthwatering! How lucky for you to see your nephew after so much time!

Cookin' Canuck said...

It looks as though you had a fabulous feast and enjoyed some good company. I like the tips from your nephew that you shared.

My Man's Belly said...

That feast looks fantastic! I think I gained 10 pounds just looking at it. Happy Easter!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

What a feast! Your table must have groaned with the weight!! Lovely chicken recipe - I must try it!

Emily Ziegler said...

Next time, I'm flying down from Philadelphia for a feast like this one :-)

Looks great, Claud!

Chef Dennis said...

What a fantastic meal!!! I use to make chicken sorrento at a restaurant I had years ago, I have not seen it since...
Thanks for sharing and bringing back some memories

Shauna said...

Yum! Everything looked delicious. That is a meal I would have loved to indulge in.

Cucina49 said...

Wow, that was some meal--and how nice it must have been to see Michael after all those years. The chicken dish looks spectacular!

Kiri W. said...

What a feast!
The tiramisu looks fantastic - I just go weak in the knees for tiramisu :)

Joanne said...

I bet no one left hungry. Such inviting food.

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely food and presentation everything looks fabulous regards

alana said...

You must have been exhausted!! but it all looks great!