Saturday, February 27, 2010

Chocolate Dipped Thin Mints ( A Famous Knockoff Cookie)

Always the perfect pick me up to satisfy a sweet tooth~


A childhood favorite, that lasts forever... the great taste of peppermint in a cookie with a dense thick decadent chocolate dip~ perfect for St. Patrick's Day! I am a huge supporter of G.S cookies, and always will be. Love them all! Such a great cause and the kids are very important. So, this is in no way to replace them.



Crisp, but a delicate butter flavor and oh~~ so good mint!




These cookies will bring back the kid in you~




Always use a good grade chocolate.



The cookies are done when the edges are slightly browned.




Cut 1/4 inch thick when chilled thoroughly...



Roll on wax paper and use to freeze for easy straight and even cutting.




Cookie Dough for Thin Mints
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
6 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder( omit and add 2 to 4 drops of green food coloring for Christmas and St. Patricks Day)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/3 cup half and half or heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract

Mix cornstarch, flour, (cocoa powder if using to make chocolate thin mints) in a bowl together set aside.
Add cream together butter and sugar. Add food coloring in the milk and the extracts. Gradually, add in the flour mixture until well mixed..
Shape dough into two logs, about 1 1/2 inches wrap in wax paper and freeze for at least 1 hour, until dough is very firm.
Heat oven to 375.
Slice dough into rounds, shape with fingers if not completely round before baking, and don't cut more than 1/4 inch thick, if you cut them too thick they won't be crisp. Place on a parchment lined cookies sheets.
Bake 12 to 14 minutes till edges are brown. Cool completely

Dark Chocolate Coating
2 bags bitter sweet (as used) or semi sweet chips (use a good grade chocolate)
1 bar of paraffin wax melted
In a microwave safe bowl melt a half bar of paraffin wax melt in microwave until completely melted, add a bag of chocolate chunks and keep stirring till melted and thin. If you need more, melt other half of the bar of wax and the bag of chocolate, repeat above directs. Reheat if it gets cold, a minute at a time till thin and easy to dip. Use two forks, dip the cookie into the chocolate and then transfer to wax paper to dry.
Note:
These do not freeze well, as the crispness of the wafer will get soft.
If you love knockoff cookies, try these other recipes: Peanut Butter Pattie's recipe highlighted. Oatmeal Sandwich Cremes , Caramel Delites Samoas ,

25 comments:

Trix said...

Seriously, is there anything you can't make??? I still think you should open up an Italian grocery store, it would be SO awesome.

Cookin' Canuck said...

Chocolate and mint is one of my all-time favorite combinations. I would not be able to stop eating these.

alison said...

hi,claudia,i love chocolate and mint,your cookies are fabulous!have a nice sunday,bye!

redkathy said...

Ok Claudia, now you are just plain showing off! JK No really these look super delicious. I love thin mints and have never had one home made, believe that. Ate store bought or boxes from the girl scouts. The closest I've come to eating them home made was from an Italian bakery up home. Too bad for me we don't live closer :)

Nina's Recipes said...

WOW, what a fantastic cookies!
Beautiful presentation...I LOVE IT!
Ok, pack your things, I'm taking you with me to Hawaii! hehehe...
Kiss and have a lovely Sunday!

Federica said...

WOW!!! These chocolates remember me the "After Eight". I love them, but I didn't think they could be made by hand. Well done ^_^
Bye bye, have a nice sunday

Sophie said...

Waw,...these chocolate covered thin mint cookies look incredibly tasty!

MMMMMMMM,...a must try!

HoneyB said...

Awesome cookie! I am a big fan of chocolate and mint!

Nicole said...

I know so many people that would love these. I remember growing up these were ALWAYS everyone's favorite. I thought samaoas were the best, but everyone always loved these! wow, did you think of this on your own?? they look So good!

5 Star Foodie said...

Homemade thin mints dipped in chocolate sound so special! Definitely perfect for St. Patrick's day!

Justine said...

Those looks sooo good! I wish I had one now to go with my cup of coffee!

Tania said...

Delicious combination, they are irresistible!

Ruth said...

wow, they looks so amazing! They would make lovely gifts too!!!! Great job Claudia!

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

Oh...and with Girl Scout cookies selling here for the past 3 weeks, these will make up for the lack of them when the cookie sales end soon.

Cookie + Chocolate + Mint = TILT!!!!

Got Milk????

pegasuslegend said...

Thanks everyone for your kind and wonderful comments.

Joanne said...

Great idea! I'd love to make my own chocolate covered mint cookies. Yum.

Drick said...

this sounds better than the GS mint - looks better too

Bridgett said...

These look and sound amazing. Anything with chocolate and mint is just perfection.

Max said...

Congratulations for your blog and for the Italian recipes that propose link and you will still see you, hello Max

Angie said...

These look so good, Do you know how many girl scout thin mints I just bought? I'll just buy 1 box next time and make the rest!

Joy said...

Magnificent! I love chocmint biscuits, and I have only ever eaten the shopbought kind. Now I am longing to try these!

Claudia said...

You made thin mints! Wow! My mouth is wide open. elicious. Scrumptious. You actually made these grand thin mints.

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Claudia, this is inspired! How do you come up with these ideas?! I LOVE THIS!!! One buzz is not enough :D

Dina said...

these look very yummy!

Memória said...

These cookies/mints are so cute!!! What a great idea.