Saturday, January 2, 2010

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Yes, this is an old old recipe, seen several times before and here's our family recipe, plain and simple. A dense rich cake with a pecan cinnamon filling, made from all natural ingredients. Mom used to make this at least once a month, years ago and it would be gone the same day. If you happen to need a reason to use up that left over sour cream this is the cake to make, you won't be sorry.



















We decided to have our cake by the pool yesterday and this was perfect with a great cup of coffee midday.



The cake is very thick, make sure you have shaken the pan back and forth to evenly distribute the batter and to get all the air bubbles out by hitting the bottom of the pan on top of the counter first
Layering is easy just start with the batter, add the filling and top with the last bit of batter.



Easy ingredients to keep on hand to make this delicious cake in a pinch.




Beaten in a heavy duty industrial mixer, the batter is nice and smooth.




Butter is at room temperature. All ingredients beaten together till smooth and thick.







Most everything is in the pantry for me all year round.










Filling
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup very fine ground pecans and 1/4 cup whole chopped pecans
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons of flour


Cake Batter
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups light sour cream
Confectionery powdered sugar for the top

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease bundt pan .
In small bowl, mix all filling ingredients; set aside.
In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl, beat sugar, 3/4 cup butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and the eggs with electric mixer for 2 minutes. Add in flour mixture mix in sour cream on low speed.
Spread 1/2 of the batter in pan add the Filling on top of the batter top with remaining batter.
Bake about 1 hour or until toothpick is clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool 10 minutes.
Cool completely and sprinkle with confectionery sugar.

21 comments:

HoneyB said...

YUM! Looks like something I would love to have sitting in front of me this morning!

Annalisa said...

Looks delicious!Great recipe,i'll try it one day!
Have a lovely day
Annalisa

kathyvegas said...

Gosh, this looks sooo good...if I wasn't still sticking to my New Year's diet resolution I'd bake one of these up right now! (I can't believe you aren't taking a break from all that holiday baking you did, you're a baking machine!) =)

redkathy said...

I've never been much of a baker, kinda had a phobia about it. Seems I bake everything too long... No wonder why I love my bread machine right ;) Anyway I've decided it's time for more baking in 2010. This cake sounds great and I too usually have most of the ingredients on hand. I'll be trying this one out I'm sure. Happy New Year to you and yours!

Cheah said...

This cake looks yummy enough to go with a cup of coffee.

Claudia said...

I want to board at your home. Delicious.

My Little Space said...

Now, this is what we all craving for! hehe... Will never refuse for this kind of cakes. Yumm...yumm...

Daydreamer Desserts said...

Claudia, that cake looks delicious... love that you didn't skim on the streusel filling! :)

Mother Rimmy said...

You take terrific pictures! I wish I had your talent. Delicious!

pegasuslegend said...

@honeyb
@annalisa
@kathyvegas
@redkathy
@cheah
@claudia
@mylittlespace
@daydreamerdesserts
@motherrimey

Thanks for all your wonderful comment!

Tasty Trix said...

Given my proclivity to eat batter, looking at these photos I am wondering if there would be any cake left to put in the oven!!

MaryMoh said...

Coffee cake is alwasy my family favourite, My children ask for it very often. But I have never made it with a tube ring. Yours looks fabulous. However I don't see any coffee in the ingredients. Have you missed it out?

Shirley said...

Yes yumm. Sometimes the simplest are the yummiest.

Drick said...

this is a great cake, I make one very simmilar.........believe it or not, I can make pound cakes...

Kristin (KrisKishere) said...

Yummy! I really like how you turned it over so it looked like a cake. My recipe has a walnut cinnamon filling in the middle and some on top, but I like the way yours looks much better!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Love the filling in the middle! Looks tasty.

The Cookie Girl said...

I love this! Streusel filling and all. As always thanks for sharing!

DINING WITH BATALI said...

BAD BAD BAD!!!! Bad of me to look in your blog when I am soooo hungry!!! Perfect as always -- love it!

ncl117 said...

I don't know what I'm more jealous about...the cake or the fact you were sitting by the pool. is SO cold here in NY!

Diana H said...

That doesn't look plain to me, the filling sounds wonderful. I love coffee cakes.

Family Cuisine Food And Recipe said...

Thank you for sharing. Cheers!