Saturday, November 7, 2009

Old Fashioned Coconut Cream White Cake

Two options to top it with, one of my favorites red raspberries and then coconut and whipped cream on top of the cake...either way it a fresh summer treat~





Fresh Coconut a taste from the tropics. White delicate cake with heavy whipped cream and a sweet coconut make this light cake taste like a tropical paradise.....easy and delicious.



3 cups sifted flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar, divided
1 1/3 cups coconut milk (if using fresh coconut milk, add regular milk to make 1 1/3 cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon of coconut flavoring
5 egg whites
2 pints of heavy cream
1 cup coconut shredded

Cream shortening and butter with 1 1/3 cups of the sugar. Add sifted flour alternately with liquid, beginning and ending with flour; add vanilla and coconut flavors. If desired, add 1/3 cup fresh coconut to the batter. Beat egg whites to soft peaks; gradually add remaining 2/3 cup sugar. Fold meringue into cake batter, just enough to incorporate. Spoon into 2 9-inch layer cake pans grease with shortening and dusted with flour. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 25 to 35 minutes, or until cake bounces back when touched lightly. Cool thoroughly..

In a large bowl using a beater, beat heavy cream adding 1/4 cup of confectionery sugar to each pint of cream. Beat till thick and spreadable. Split both layers in half and frost each layer then entire cake, sprinkle with coconut. For the raspberry option, just frost a split layer with whipped cream frosting and use a decorating star tool to pipe on the frosting in long strips. I used a berry red ice cream topping and then decorated with fresh raspberries, add sprinkle coconut on the frosting as well.

24 comments:

Mother Rimmy said...

All I can say is Yum! I love coconut. This looks wonderful!

My Little Space said...

This is perfectly yum!

alison said...

so delicious!

Lady Mystery said...

All I can say is 'Mouth Watering'.

pegasuslegend said...

@mother rimmy thank you :)
@my little space thanks again
@ alison thank you
@lady mystery glad you like it! thanks

Mommy's Kitchen said...

Oh goodness this is one of my most favorite cakes. SO creamy dreamy and good. Plus it is homemade all the way!!! Awesome

Laura said...

I don't know what but the picture makes me think of Christmas. Looks delicious.

lasvegasfoodadventures said...

I adore coconut, especially in a nice moist cake like this one and I can't wait to try this!

pegasuslegend said...

@ laura
@lasvegasadventured
@mommys kitchen

Glad you like this...hope you all try it, a wonderful cake for any coconut lover :)

Cooking with K said...

this is an all time favorite at my house....I could take a bite right out of the picture it looks so good!!!

Shirley said...

Looks absolutely delicious!!!!

Daydreamer Desserts said...

That coconut cake looks so yummy!

Ricardo said...

Old fashioned, well looks very contemporary to me as fashion goes around in circles, what a beautiful cake well done gratz kisses xxx

Miranda said...

mmmh....my husband would LOVE this!!!! It looks lovely!

Belinda @zomppa said...

I absolutely adore coconut and thank you for making me smile!

Drick said...

very nice, the cake looks soft as a pillow and the frosting is super moist - a coconut lovers dream for sure

Cinda said...

This looks great Claudia! I'm surrounded by coconuts on this tropical island and I've never tasted a coconut cream cake!!

Bridgett said...

Looking at this this morning definitely made my day. You did a beautiful job and this would go perfectly with my coffee right about now!

Daydreamer Desserts said...

This cake looks wonderful! Someone is having a little too much fun with fresh raspberries. ;)

Emily Malloy (Ziegler) said...

I love love love love love this! Perfect for the 4th!

Table Talk said...

Holy smokes that looks good! I think I just gained 5 pounds looking at the picture :)

Magic of Spice said...

Looks delicious:)

Claudia said...

It's a summer beauty Claudia.Just put it on a blue plate and can you say, "Happy 4th of July?"

Tropical flavors for summer - perfect!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Lovely cake! Love the coconut and raspberry combination!