Sunday, November 8, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies (Bakery Style Recipe)




Did you ever have a huge chocolate chip cookie from your favorite bakery and think why can't mine taste like that ? Well this is the one for you to try. Back in Upstate NY when I was growing up, I had friends that owned a bakery long since gone now and the cookies were so fantastic the taste is and always will be embedded in my mind, what's the saying " to die for". Of course no one would give up the secret family recipe, just the ingredients in there and so much quantity was made at one time, there was no way to break down the recipe that made 600 cookies at a time for a regular size batch... lol ...So this is my best guess through trial and error though these years and I can't tell the difference, they are so good. An all time favorite of our family , and I am sure you won't be disappointed. For the novice and advanced bakers, you can tell just by the fresh ingredients how these will taste by reading, I hope this will be a household favorite for you too.





A delicious blend of fresh ingredients, that takes you back to your childhood.

The recipe is pretty simple, but I do believe the secret is to not cook them as long as they ever state. When they are slightly browned and set then they are cooked, they still stay soft and simply melt in your mouth with the buttery gooey goodness.
So here it goes...

1 cup of unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 egg
2 1/2 cup cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
(Variations 1: 2 1/2 cups flour, chilled dough, flatter cookie) shown
(Variation2: 2 3/4 cups flour, no chilling, higher cookie)
2 1/2 cups of chocolate chunk chips ( use chunks not chips) plus
Optional variations add : (1/2 cup) walnuts, pecans, pistachio, cashews, coconut or peanut butter cup cut in chunks
Line two baking sheets.

Cream the butter with brown and white sugars until well blended. Stir in vanilla and egg. Fold in flour., baking soda, salt and lastly the chocolate chunks.. Chill dough for an hour.Form into rounds, the size of golf ball and place two inches apart on baking sheet. The baking sheet should be high quality pans that evenly bake, if you haven't invested in them you won't be sorry. Commercial grades are recommended.
Bake in preheated oven 350 until just set, still light in color, over baking will make hard cookies. Cool for one minute and remove from pan on wire rack or flat surface onto wax paper.
These will seem underdone, but will set up as they cool.

18 comments:

Miranda said...

mmmh. I love lots of vanilla in my chocolate chip cookies

Tasty Trix said...

That's so cool that you figured out a childhood favorite! It's amazing how smells and tastes can literally transport you to another place.

pegasuslegend said...

@miranda oh I love vanilla do and make my own love it!
@tastytrix yeah miss going home and not being able to actually go there anymore, but everything changes so this was the next best thing....thanks

TheChocolatePriestess said...

I love trying out small changes in recipes and the figuring out what I like best. Now if I can only remember to write what I do, which I often do not remember to do, then I could recreate things as you've done.

Thanks for sharing.

DINING WITH BATALI said...

I love how you bundled them up with a ribbon -- Great idea for a giveaway gift for my party in 2 weeks

No-Frills Recipes said...

Great cookies. My son likes chewy choc chip cookies, so I try not to bake them too long.

Bianca said...

Delicious! I've seen a million cookie recipes but for some reason this one reminded me of home....

redkathy said...

I just had to smile when I read your email title on FB, A cookie I grew up with. It's amazing what is burned into our hearts as children and how it ends up on the table years later! [still smiling]

pegasuslegend said...

@the chocolate priestess I know what you mean :)
@dining with batali thanks glad it gave you the idea...I love ribbon
@no frills recipe hope he likes lots of chocolate chunks!
@bianca thanks
@redkathy its amazing the taste is does linger for ever....

Cookin' Canuck said...

Mmm, two kinds of brown sugar. These look really good!

Rochelle said...

Yum! I feel the need to bake another batch of chocolate chip cookies now!

lasvegasfoodadventures said...

I'm a flat chewy cookie fan, like shown in your pics. I bet these make your kitchen smell wonderful!

NOELLE said...

I was trying to reach for one! Yummy!

My Little Space said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love anything with chocolates.

CaptnRachel aka Tha Pizza Cutta said...

Since I was a child I have been baking and looking for the most perfect chocolate chip cookies. I am thrilled about your recipe and am very excited to try it. Sidebar-when I was very young child, my single-mother was a waitress after her secretary job at night. She would bring me and my brothers home monster-sized chocolate chip cookies and I can still taste them to this day. What a yummy memory.

pegasuslegend said...

@ the pizza cutta I absolutely love you can relate to this story....its amazing to me how you can go through your whole life trying to find that one taste you remember, it may be grandma, aunt, or any other food you had along the way that you can't seem to duplicate, thanks for sharing your wonderful story :)

Mr. P said...

I know what you mean about cooking time. They look really gooey though, with chewy edges. Perfect!

Do you like black and whites too? Loved those in NYC!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to bake up a batch of these lovelies, but your recipe is lacking the amounts of baking soda and salt to use.. could you please post them?