Thursday, October 8, 2009

Fresh Apple Pie Squares

Fall is the time to enjoy this wonderful fruit freshly harvested, apples. If your lucky enough to live in a state you can get them at the local apple orchards, well I envy you. Years ago, when I lived in Upstate NY, we would go to this wonderful apple orchard in Whitesboro/New Hartford NY area. I use to buy all kinds of apples there, primarily for baking. Cortland, Macintosh, or Rome apples by the bushel to make great pies, applesauce, cobblers etc were always my favorite choices. Through the years I continued to use them in several other dishes that complimented the meal, such as pork chops with stuffing and apples (http://pegasuslegend-whatscookin.blogspot.com/2009/06/baked-pork-chops-and-apple-stuffing.html).












Although this pie, wouldn't have been my first pick of favorite pies growing up, as I learned to make this from scratch, it made all the difference between a good pie and a great one. Fresh is always the way to go. Nothing beats the taste of that combination of apples, cinnamon, butter and the natural fresh flavors.








So because it was always hard to cut a pie, I decided to use a brownie pan one day, which is a little more shallow, 12x8x2, but it was easier, fed more and looked really nice to serve with the basket weave on top and didn't fall apart when we tried to take out the first piece.





So beginning with making a nice crust, you will need:
Crust:
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt Mix
2/3 cups shortening Cut in
4 1/2 tbsp ice water Add
Mix till dough forms a ball...Roll out on floured board two 9 inch crust and line pie plate.
Brush bottom of crust with 1 tbsp melted butter.
I like a thick crust so I double this recipe.
Now for the apples:
Peel, core and slice into thick wedges 8 baking apples.
In a bowl add
1/4 cup of flour
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/4 cup of water
3/4 cups of sugar
Mix all together.
Roll 1/2 the dough out to fit your pan. Pour apples onto crust. Roll out remaining dough into strips and alternate making three to four rows long length and side ways. Dot with slices of butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375 until lightly browned and apples are soft. Cool down till warm, serve with whipped cream or ice cream.


8 comments:

Cookin' Canuck said...

Beautiful lattice! This is the epitome of Fall.

My Little Space said...

Ooo...yum! I love apple pie & apple strudel. They're fantastic for afternoon tea.

Jessie said...

I love a great apple treat, you did such a wonderful job with the lattice crust.

5 Star Foodie said...

Delicious, I adore apple pie!

Family Cuisine Food And Recipe said...

Sounds good. Thank you for sharing. Cheers !

Squeaky Gourmet said...

looks great! The house always smells so wonderful when baking apple pie, doesn't it?

Joyce said...

What a great idea to use a brownie pan. I wish I had a piece of this right now. Thanks for sharing.
Joyce

Skylar Wolfe said...

Looks great. I am so making an apple pie this weekend.