Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Best Banana Bread Recipe EVER!

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread



I have tried making several recipes, again and again with many failures... This one is full proof that I adapted.. you won't have to try another one after this. Tell me what you think..... see cinnamon swirl variation at the bottom of this page.
I use this recipe to make a great banana split cake ...pictured is two slices of cake, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, fresh pineapple,

sliced banana's, chocolate hot fudge , carmel topping.... add a cherry on top.....





Banana Bread

Mix together:
2 1/2 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
In another bowl beat well:
1 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups mashed banana's
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
4 eggs
optional: 1 cup walnuts

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mix till all are incorporated. Pour into two well greased loaf pans or make muffins. Bake ar 350 for 30 to 35 minutes or until brown and middle is dry when tested with a toothpick.

Variation: Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread...
1/4 cup flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 sugar( add nuts optional)...mix together .Pour 1/2 the batter in a loaf top with sugar cinnamon mixture and bake....
other variations:
Fill with mini chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts, proceed as above.
This recipe also makes awesome muffins!

19 comments:

Kim McDougal, Ordinary Recipes Made Gourmet said...

You're making me crave bananas !!! Reminds me when I was a kid how every now and then my mommy would take me to Dairy Queen for a banana split and I'd get everything! I love those times and your banana bread just takes me back to those days! :D

applecrumbles said...

About how many bananas are needed for 2 cups? around 4? It looks good.

pegasuslegend said...

Yes around four banana's and the ripe ones work the best.

I made them this morning and used four very large banana's and they were extra ripe......

Squeaky Gourmet said...

I love Banana bread!

Drick said...

looks devine - this type of loaf cakes are my favorite ... I'm making this one, maybe in a bundt pan...

Rochelle said...

That looks like a great banana bread! Very moist looking, which is what I seem to have a problem with. Mine always comes out drier like a regular bread. I think it would be the shortening that you used to make it more moist and will have to remember that next time I make some :)

ncl117 said...

oh banana bread is one of my favs. If I make this I may just eat the entire loaf. I'll have to plan someone to share it with!

redkathy said...

Your banana bread is the bomb! My kids used to eat two loafs in one day. And the banana split cake, ok I just gained ten pounds, thanks friend [big grin]

The Addicted Baker said...

Great idea for a banana split cake! Love it!

ARLENE said...

This sounds like a great recipe. I love banana bread (and memories of DQ, though my favorite was the blizzard which was totally different from the one they sell today)and 4 bananas must make it really flavorful.

Claudia said...

This is banama bread extraordinaire. I think you had too much fun creating this. It's been elevated from a sweet, home-baked modest bread to an elegant dessert.

Federica said...

I love banana bread and it's wonderful with nuts. I'd like to have a slice for my break with a cup of cold milk. Well done dear. Bye, hope you have a good week end

Parsley Sage said...

So tasty! Perfect for Royal Tea time :) I really like the cinnamon swirl. Well done!

Swathi said...

Banana bread is the one I started baking with. So it has special place in my heart. this one looks addictive.

Lyndsey ~The Tiny Skillet~ said...

Now this banana bread is just what I needed. The first thing I noticed was the cinnamon swirl....what a great addition to banana bread!! I had gone through many attempts before I got the kind of results that I was looking for. I will bookmark this one to try next! It looks wonderful!

chefpandita.com said...

That banana split cake looks so whimsical! Banana cake [& bread] is a favorite of my family and friends so I make it quite often. My newest fav is Flour Bakery's recipe, I'm trying this one for sure and let you know what my testers think. I have played with nutella swirls, dulce de leche swirls, chocolate chips but have never added cinnamon to it. Thank you for this recipe, Claudia!

redkathy said...

OHM Cluadia Banana bread is my all time favorite quick bread! And that banana split, well I don't know of a more beautiful, luscious combination than this one. Wish i had some banans ;-0

Rosemary said...

I've always disappointed myself with banan bread; I like what I've made, but I've never loved it. THis I could love! Thanks for sharing. On my list!

Suzanne said...

Is this the same as banana cake? I haven't tasted banana bread but looking at your pics, I will sure try one!