Best Banana Bread Recipe

Wednesday, February 16, 2022
I have tried so many banana bread recipes over the years and still go back to mom's vintage recipe, it's spot-on perfection.

Banana bread is sweet, moist and so easy to make, we love when our banana are too ripe to eat, they end up going to banana bread heaven.

There were always a few tips she had that made the bread super delicious, sweet, with a tender texture and our tips below will help you make the best banana bread you've ever tasted.

These are super easy to make with just a few steps and the smell will make your mouth water while these loaves bake.

Often we even use a mini muffin pan or made one loaf and a dozen muffins, the recipe makes usually two big loaves.

Occasionally she would even throw in some raisins, make a cinnamon swirl style bread or blueberries, so it's a basic versatile recipe as well.

We love this recipe and other quick bread and muffin recipes you may want to try our Best Muffins and Quick Bread Roundup there's something for everyone.

Scroll down to our recipe card for this easily printable banana bread recipe!


made from scratch banana bread





Easy Steps

  1. Prepare loaf pans or muffin tins and preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  2. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, place in a bowl
  3. Get all the wet ingredients together in another bowl
  4. Make a well, add the wet ingredients to dry
  5. Fold into the mixture just until combined do not overwork the batter.
  6. Bake, cool, and enjoy!


banana muffins


Ingredients You Will Need

  • flour
  • white sugar
  • brown sugar
  • vanilla
  • baking powder
  • salt
  • egg
  • bananas
  • shortening 


collage of how to make the best banana bread ever


Other Additions

  1. chopped or diced fruits strawberry, blueberries, raspberries, peaches, cherries, pear, pineapple, mango, fig
  2. dried fruits like raisins, craisins, etc
  3. nuts of any kind(walnuts, macadamia, pistachio, pecans, hazelnuts, almonds are all best toasted first)
  4. coconut
  5. any kinds of chocolate chips
  6. shredded zucchini or carrots
  7. funfetti (the kids love the colors)


made from scratch banana bread


Tips and Tools

  1. for a tender pastry do not overwork the batter
  2. mashed the bananas with a fork 
  3. always sift the dry ingredients
  4. any extracts can be used vanilla, orange, lemon, maple, almond anisette, or whatever else you love
  5. do not over bake
  6. spread with butter jam or jelly while warm
  7. these bread  loaves are great served with a hot beverage or cold glass of milk
  8. for a tender pastry do not overwork the batter mashed the bananas with a fork and mix with all the wet ingredients just fold in the dry ingredients
  9. always sift the dry ingredients any extracts can be used vanilla, orange, lemon, maple, almond anisette, or whatever other flavors you like
  10. keep loaves wrapped in plastic wrap and sealed ziplock bags in a cool dry place, banana bread dries out in the refrigerator.
  11. If you're a family of two, muffins are the way to go and freeze the rest as needed
  12. Tools You May Need: loaf pan, regular-sized muffin pan, or use a mini muffin pan, measuring cups, measuring spoons, knife, fork, flour sifter 



banana bread batter


More Recipes We Love



Mini Strawberry Blueberry Muffins

Banana Mango Muffins

Muffins and Quick Bread Roundup Recipes


Pin for later



pin for later banana bread


This Banana Bread Recipe is the Best Ever!


This bread is so easy to make, taste great, and it's foolproof and will be the only recipe you'll ever need to try ever again


As I mentioned before you can even add whatever you like to the batter including extracts for a lemon banana bread or coconut, chocolate chips, just get creative, bananas go great with lots of different additions.


Either way, the bread is plain, filled, or recreated to your own flavors you love, we got you covered with mom's recipe.


We would love to hear your favorite mix-ins your family enjoys in this delicious banana bread batter in the comment box, we love new creative suggestions.


best banana bread, tried and true banana bread, vintage banana bread, banana bread from scratch
banana recipes, quick bread recipes, muffin recipes, banana bread recipes, quick bread tips
American
Yield: 30 slices
Author: Claudia Lamascolo
Best Banana Bread Recipe

Best Banana Bread Recipe

Prep time: 8 MinCook time: 45 MinTotal time: 53 Min
I have tried so many recipes for banana bread but nothing compares to this recipe it's spot on delicious every time, moist, sweet, and addicting!

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups of flour
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • In another bowl mix together well:
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 1 cup granulated white sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 cups mashed banana's
  • 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 4 eggs
  • optional: 1 cup walnuts

Instructions

  1. Make a well with the flour, baking soda and pour the wet mixture into the dry and blend together evenly.
  2. Use a folding method and do not use a mixer.
  3. The batter will be lumpy.
  4. Pour into two well-greased loaf pans or make muffins.
  5. Bake at 350 for around 45 minutes for a loaf or 30 to 35 minutes or until brown and the middle is dry when tested with a toothpick.
  6. Variations: Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread...
  7. 1/4 cup flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 sugar( add nuts optional)...mix together.
  8. Pour 1/2 the batter in a loaf top with sugar-cinnamon mixture and bake...
  9. other variations:
  10. Fold in mix-ins: chocolate chips, coconut, and walnuts, proceed as above with the wet ingredients.
  11. This recipe also makes awesome muffins!
  12. See Tips in the Notes:

Notes

Tips

  1. for a tender pastry do not overwork the batter
  2. mashed the bananas with a fork and mix with all the wet ingredients just fold in the dry ingredients
  3. always sift the dry ingredients
  4. any extracts can be used vanilla, orange, lemon, maple, almond anisette, or whatever else you love
  5. do not over bake
  6. spread with butter jam or jelly while warm
  7. these bread loaves are great served with a hot beverage or cold glass of milk
  8. for a tender pastry do not overwork the batter mashed the bananas with a fork and mix with all the wet ingredients just fold in the dry ingredients
  9. always sift the dry ingredients any extracts can be used vanilla, orange, lemon, maple, almond anisette, or whatever other flavors you like
  10. keep loaves wrapped in plastic wrap and sealed ziplock bags in a cool dry place, banana bread dries out in the refrigerator.


Other Additions

  1. chopped or diced fruits strawberry, blueberries, raspberries, peaches, cherries, pear, pineapple, mango, fig
  2. dried fruits like raisins, craisins, etc
  3. nuts
  4. coconut
  5. any kinds of chocolate chips
  6. shredded zucchini
  7. Fold in mix-ins: proceed as above with the wet ingredients step.



Nutrition Facts

Calories

194.31

Fat (grams)

9.88

Sat. Fat (grams)

3.21

Carbs (grams)

24.63

Fiber (grams)

0.90

Net carbs

23.72

Sugar (grams)

14.54

Protein (grams)

2.61

Sodium (milligrams)

79.43

Cholesterol (grams)

28.63


Pin for later



pin for later how to make banana bread


Try Some of these other Breakfast Ideas



Baked Blueberry Donuts
One-Pan Easy Raspberry Scones
Grilled Blueberry Muffins
Disclosure: This recipe was originally shared in 2009. It was edited and re-published in 2022.

42 comments

  1. You're making me crave bananas !!! Reminds me when I was a kid how every now and then my mommy would take me to Dairy Queen for a banana split and I'd get everything! I love those times and your banana bread just takes me back to those days! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. About how many bananas are needed for 2 cups? around 4? It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes around four banana's and the ripe ones work the best.

    I made them this morning and used four very large banana's and they were extra ripe......

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks devine - this type of loaf cakes are my favorite ... I'm making this one, maybe in a bundt pan...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a great banana bread! Very moist looking, which is what I seem to have a problem with. Mine always comes out drier like a regular bread. I think it would be the shortening that you used to make it more moist and will have to remember that next time I make some :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh banana bread is one of my favs. If I make this I may just eat the entire loaf. I'll have to plan someone to share it with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your banana bread is the bomb! My kids used to eat two loafs in one day. And the banana split cake, ok I just gained ten pounds, thanks friend [big grin]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea for a banana split cake! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a great recipe. I love banana bread (and memories of DQ, though my favorite was the blizzard which was totally different from the one they sell today)and 4 bananas must make it really flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is banama bread extraordinaire. I think you had too much fun creating this. It's been elevated from a sweet, home-baked modest bread to an elegant dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love banana bread and it's wonderful with nuts. I'd like to have a slice for my break with a cup of cold milk. Well done dear. Bye, hope you have a good week end

    ReplyDelete
  12. So tasty! Perfect for Royal Tea time :) I really like the cinnamon swirl. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Banana bread is the one I started baking with. So it has special place in my heart. this one looks addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now this banana bread is just what I needed. The first thing I noticed was the cinnamon swirl....what a great addition to banana bread!! I had gone through many attempts before I got the kind of results that I was looking for. I will bookmark this one to try next! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That banana split cake looks so whimsical! Banana cake [& bread] is a favorite of my family and friends so I make it quite often. My newest fav is Flour Bakery's recipe, I'm trying this one for sure and let you know what my testers think. I have played with nutella swirls, dulce de leche swirls, chocolate chips but have never added cinnamon to it. Thank you for this recipe, Claudia!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OHM Cluadia Banana bread is my all time favorite quick bread! And that banana split, well I don't know of a more beautiful, luscious combination than this one. Wish i had some banans ;-0

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always disappointed myself with banan bread; I like what I've made, but I've never loved it. THis I could love! Thanks for sharing. On my list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is this the same as banana cake? I haven't tasted banana bread but looking at your pics, I will sure try one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is recipe is so good. I just made it this past weekend. I lost my recipe - I still can't believe it - and I found this one. Good news! It's DEE-licious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just like the banana bread my aunt used to make for us. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful banana bread. Looks absolutely delicious. I'm going to bake it this weekend. Interesting that you used shortening here. Can't wait to give this bread a try.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the idea of making this banana bread in muffin tins for an easy grab and go breakfast. This is perfect for hectic school mornings. My kids are going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved how fluffy this banana bread turned out! Thanks for such a delicious treat!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooh, your mom's banana bread looks like a winner. I didn't know my mom had a banana bread recipe until my cousins started raving about it, LOL. Thank goodness I have it now. It's a wonderful way to think of my mom while I bake :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds delish! You mention baking soda but I don't see a measurement for it? Also, do the sugars go with the wet ingredients it seems? Just checking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much @Lisa DeRea I didn't catch that, there in NO Baking soda, it's just baking powder. Thanks so much for the message

      Delete
    2. Thank you, can't wait to try this! Sounds like what my Mom used to make. Like you I have tried a zillion different Banana Bread and cake recipes and am still searching, this could be the one!

      Delete
  26. @Lisa DeRea Frederiksen oh I hope this is it, mom's recipe as long as I can remember from the 60s or 70s. Do come back and let us know your results! Thanks again for catching that!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks delicious and sounds like a good recipe. I'm a fan of banana NUT bread so I would definitely add the nuts and maybe double them. Maybe I should call mine nut banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This Is a beautiful and Easy banana bread 😍I Need It for my breakfast this morning😋

    ReplyDelete
  29. I too also just baked a banana bread, but you can never have too many banana bread recipes. Gotta give your recipe a try too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love banana bread and this looks delicious. Thank you for this easy recipe. Will be trying this banana bread soon.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I couldn't agree more! This is really the best banana bread recipe I've tried!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love how well you explained this recipe and it is so doable. Thanks for sharing such awesome banana bread recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This recipe was easy to follow with amazing results! The bread was delicious. We ate it up so fast in my house. Can't wait to make again.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This banana bread comes out of the oven so moist. The perfect breakfast or afternoon snack.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I can see why you keep coming back to this recipe. It looks fantastic, especially with all that flavor and texture. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Can you use butter instead of shortening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because butter melts quicker than shortening, it often results in flatter and thinner baked goods. There's no doubt about it: Butter adds a creamier, richer flavor to baked goods than shortening but will impact the rising process while baking.

      Delete
  37. This looks delicious! Can I use Italian 00 flour to make this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly have no experience with 00 flour (not even for making pasta I use SEMOLA not 00) so I can't give you any advice on this kind

      Delete

Remember to use the search option for a recipe you're looking for and thanks for all your kind words and support. We love our readers all the best Claudia