Friday, June 25, 2010

Vodka Sauce Recipe

Usually I cook with some kind of alcohol somewhere, it seems like a staple for our family. But this one really is much different using vodka instead of the Italian wines, and a good grade of vodka is a must. I like to use Absolute. This sauce is very heavy, and coats the pasta. I really love the flavor. It's not the usual tomato sauce, it's a little spicy, a little rich, but a nice alternative to Traditional Sunday Sauce. Every once in awhile we have to indulge.
1/4 pound (1 stick) butter
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup vodka
1 can Italian crushed tomatoes
2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup Romano cheese
1 cup heavy cream
Pasta, prepared according to package directions
Melt butter over high heat until bubbly; add red pepper flakes. Rapidly add vodka and simmer for 2 minutes. Simmer tomatoes with the 2 cheeses for 2 minutes, then add cream; simmer for 1 minute. Prepare pasta Rigatoni, mix completely with the sauce, and serve immediately. A great addition would be to add sauteed chicken or cooked mushrooms to the sauce.

20 comments:

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Pasta in a vodka sauce is one of my favorties. Great job with this recipe.

Cheers!

baking.serendipity said...

Rachel Ray won me over on vodka sauce with a recipe a long time ago, and I think I o.d-ed on it for a bit. Your recipe makes me want to bring it back again, finally!

citronetvanille said...

How strange as it may sound, I never tried pasta with vodka sauce, and yes heavy it's ok once in a while! Looks like a very flavorful comforting meal!

Ruth said...

yum, so luxurious!

redkathy said...

I have yet to make a vodka sauce. you have inspired me!

AppleC said...

Only you can arouse cravings of Vodka Sauce Penne at 8:15 am in the morning. Delicious!

Stella said...

Que Rico! I knew there must be some reason that vodka sauce is always so good at trattorias. Now I know-rich & delicious!

Cookin' Canuck said...

Vodka sauce is one of my favorites but you're right about it being only an occasional splurge. I would love to try your version!

Drick said...

love this sauce but have not make it in a while, will certainly try your version, sounds wonderful...are you back yet???

Cinnamon-Girl said...

I love a rich and decadent sauce like this! Insanely delicious!

Angie's Recipes said...

I love the pasta with vodka sauce. This looks so yummy to me!

steve said...

Every time I'm in San Fransisco I go to this little Italian place by the Marina district and order their penne Romanov. Which is a great vodka sauce and it always makes me smile. So did this recipe.

Belinda @zomppa said...

Love this sauce - how about in a Huntress Pie? =)

Bridgett said...

I just love vodka sauce and I definitely need to make it more often. Perfect comfort food!

Kathy Gori said...

Looks like a great dish Claudia!

Nicole said...

I love making this dish for company or for parties. It's always a huge hit for everyone!

Mother Rimmy said...

I've purchased vodka sauce and loved it. I'd much rather make my own. You've inspired me to give it a try!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Very decadent indeed. I think this will be my next pasta dish!

Magic of Spice said...

Great recipe, always wanted to try a vodka sauce! Wonderful:)

Patsyk said...

One of my favorite sauces! I really should make it at home, but then I might end up indulging too often!